Friday, May 16, 2008

My Favorite Music Group of All Time!!!

(Now, I know that I will be ridiculed, but I just can't NOT post about this!)

All week, I have been excited about Friday's Today show. Thanks to Entertainment Weekly, I found out that my favorite music group of all time would be performing as a kick off to their reunion tour. Ladies and gentlemen, performing for the first time in 14 years:

NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK!!!!

I admit it. I'm not ashamed. I unabashedly love them!!
They are my absolute favorite music group of all time!!

Before you flip, please out take note:
* I did NOT use the word band. We all know they aren't a band. They may play a few instruments, but their thing was singing, dancing and gyrating, not playing.

* They are NOT, I repeat, NOT amazingly talented musicians. Seriously, I get it. I have enough of a musical background to know that this is not groundbreaking or innovative and it's barely mediocre. I honestly don't even remember if they wrote any of their songs, music or lyrics.


So then, why this proclamation of love?
Well...
* When I watched them do the "New Kids Dance"on the Today show, I giggled.
* And then, when Joey McIntyre pulled out the hat with no top, I jumped up and down in my seat a little.
* I still knew every word to "Tonight", down to the last "gir-e-er-e-er-e-er-rls"
* I squealed a little when Joey sang a little "Please Don't Go Girl." And I wasn't about to go anywhere.
* I started feeling a little guilty for abandoning them when they went through the awkward "tough guy" stage after the "Step by Step" album.
* And when it was over, I checked online to see where they are touring.
* And I checked iTunes to see if their new single was there (it was...).
* AND I found myself wondering if I still had any of my NKOTB t-shirts which I could at least wear to bed or to clean in...


So, yeah, I still love them. I do! Watching them takes me back to 5th and 6th grade, a happier, simpler time. They automatically bring this huge smile to my face. Joey is still my favorite, Donnie still acts like the rebel, Jordan is still trying a little too hard to be hetero, Danny is still a little simian-like, and Jon still looks extremely uncomfortable on stage (he actually has pretty severe panic attacks... I don't know how he does it!).

There you have it, NKOTB -- my favorite music group of all time! Let the abuse begin.

7 comments:

themainstick said...

shouldn't you have been teaching when it was on tv...??
maybe you recorded it...
I saw it too, and felt a little bad they were getting rained on.

Gwyn Mullins said...

I didn't see them, but I saw the 2 ladies who waited the longest to see the concert. I think it was 2.5 days. Matt Lauer told them that NKOTB wanted to show their appreciation for them, and I held my breath with them as they waited. It was tickets to their Toronto concert, and I think the ladies were a little disappointed they didn't get backstage passes or something. I know that's what I expected them to get.

Gwyn Mullins said...

Oh and I am glad they still make you giggle and smile.

Heather said...

I must come over and watch this b/c the chance to see Joey sing "Please don't go girl" would make life a little better. How can you NOT love NKOTB?

Jonathan Goodman said...

Wow, very entertaining. I wish I had an equivalent, but you know I didn't get in on the public media world until about 1993...

Amanda said...

I don't know, Jonathan... I think you could write a similar post about Carmen...

:)

Jonathan Goodman said...

Yeah, I seem to remember someone offering me a "Behind the Shorts" documentary or something like that on him one time...

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Carmen was too hardcore for my family. I was 13-14 before I ever heard him.