Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"Reasons to Wed"

As a girl who loves order and organization, I also love list making. I love making shopping lists, to-do lists, top 5 lists, lists of rules, lists of facts... hee hee! See what I did there? I just made a list!

Anyway, sometime in college I started a list called "Reasons to Wed". I kept this list (bulleted, of course, because I love me some bullets) on a post it pad in a little post it pad travel box that I kept in my purse so tht I could add to it when inspiration hit.

Now, this isn't a serious list by any stretch. You won't find spiritual reasons, fiscal reasons, or any remotely practical or reasonable reasons. To give you an idea about the content of this list, I actually remembered the list today as I was waiting to have my oil changed and inspection done. This is something I am completely capable of doing, but I would much, MUCH rather someone else do it. Someone who is a man. Someone who is married to me. Ah ha! A reason to wed!

I kept the post its with this ever growing list in my desk for a long time. But I looked for it today and couldn't find it. (Remember that organization thing I mentioned earlier? Yeah, that also causes me to throw away a lot of stuff...) But I think I remember most of the little tidbits. So, sit back and enjoy a bulleted list, chock full of "Amanda's (nonsensical) Reasons to Wed". :)


I need a husband to:

* Have the oil changed/inspection done/gas pumped/anything car related done (I really really hate doing this stuff. Aside from the gas, my dad always took care of it and I miss him for better reasons than that, but I do miss this!!)

* Eat the gross food (i.e. black jellybeans, mushrooms, etc.)

* Empty the dishwasher. (I don't mind loading, but unloading... ugh

* Push the baby stroller (this one I came up with while visiting Alcatraz... there were some hills I would not want to have to push a baby stroller up!)

* Kill the bugs (like the praying mantis that tried to kill Melanie and me back at Turtle Creek or the millipede I had to chase down my stairs on the 4th of July)

* Warm up my cold feet (because, let's face it, my feet are cold 90% of the time)

* Have someone to do the vacuuming. (Another chore I despise. Seems manly enough... almost like pushing a lawn mower, right?)

I am sure there are more I am forgetting, but that gives you a pretty good idea. So, I know I'm not alone in this: do you have any silly "Reasons to Wed" or "Reasons You are Glad You Wed" to share?





5 comments:

themainstick said...

*change the poopy diapers

*someone to sit behind you and help you push in child labor

*do the dishes

*someone to teach the kids how to sleep through the night. i can't handle the crying.

*take out the garbage

*teach me about baseball/sports in general

*someone to be all time "pitcher" when playing baseball with the boys (moms aren't that good...but with practice, I have been told that I could get better)

*to have someone to make out with in line at amusment parks...i hate when people do this...i swore, when i was married, i would take my husband and just make out in line all day...and adam hates rollercoasters. oh the irony.

Dr. Alfaro said...

Wow... your feet are always cold? I can relate, and thanks to Julie, I can also share some socks! :) Alex doesn't like my cold feet and one night after we'd been married perhaps a month, I woke up with socks on when I'd had none at bedtime. He socked my feet...cute, but rather selfish! :)

My list was of qualities a mate must have/be willing to do. It went as follows:

*Tall
*Burly/Muscular
*Dark hair and eyes, preferrable
*Speak a foreign language (not necessarily as a first language, but be fluent)
*Be from another culture (even a Yankee or Surfer would've been okay...but not southern born and bred)
*Cook
*Do floors
*Wash all dishes that cannot be put in the dishwasher
*Like movies (in retrospect, I should've been more specific on this point)
*Make me laugh
*Be intelligent
*Have a backbone, but know when to give in
*Like big dogs
*Dislike cats...not in a kill and destroy way, but in a we don't want them at our house way
*Be ambitious
*Be religious, but not a preacher/pastor/reverand/bible thumper (Just the last thing I came to, not the least important!)
*Treat me with respect

I'll bring you some socks... :)

Tennille said...

I think about this alot since Trey is gone so much I have to pick up the slack when he is gone.

* Discipline is a biggy here. For some reason Mak listens to him much much better than she does me. LOL

* Taking out the trash

* Car related things

* For me a big thing is Trey says what he thinks and I don't. So, lots of times he backs me up when I fail to say something that should be said. LOL

* Trey supports me financially. Sure I work, but the money I make is fun money for us.

* Emotional support. There are times when I get really stressed and just wanna cry, but Trey is always there to console me and tell me what I should do (even when he's deployed).

Lee and Joshua Simmons said...

*So I can have and play with game systems and no one judges.

*Someone to check the Answering Machine, because I NEVER think about it.

*Someone to drive most places

*Someone for my kids to like way better than me....oh wait a minute!

*Someone to teach Gareth to pee standing up....but without him in the first place....Gareth wouldn't exist.

*Someone to clean the gutters and do the bulk of the yard work.

Melanie said...

Aww, I love it! Many of those have been on my mind lately too!

-someone to transition back to America with!

haha, love ya.