Sunday, July 17, 2011

Things I'm Bad At

Okay, reading that title, some of you may think this is a horrible idea for a blog post. And I agree, it could be a bad idea if I took it down a more serious, self-depricating, critical path. But that's not what this is about. I was just filling the ice trays and realized how bad I am at it and thought, "Hmmm... what other seemingly simple things am I bad at?" So here it goes!

1) Filling ice trays. Doesn't seem like that difficult of a task, huh? And it's not like I get tons of practice with it. But my ice maker is broken so I've been filling up ice trays for a few weeks now and every. single. time... I splash water all over myself and the counters around the sink. Every time. Doesn't matter if I use the stream setting or the spray setting. Doesn't matter if I use high pressure or low pressure. I make a mess every time.

2) Taking compliments. This one borders on a serious/critical one, but I'm putting it anyway. I don't know how to take compliments. I mean, I guess I know how I should take compliments -- a simple thank you, right? But no. I say dumb things or try to negate whatever has been said or make a joke of it. Such a simple thing, to say thank you, but for some reason it eludes me.

3) Keeping plants alive. I actually used to be pretty good at this, but I am notorious for getting all these lovely flowers set up on my front and back stoops and then letting them die because I forget to water them or procrastinate it to the point of them dying of thirst. Let's hope I do better with my children...

4) Blogging. Need I say more?

5) Spider Solitaire. Oh sure. With one suit I can defeat this bad boy in minutes. But add a second suit and I'm toast! I cannot even fathom how people play this game with all four suits!!! I have spent DAYS trying to play one game with two suits (okay, not all day, every day, but I have left games up for days trying to solve them and NOTHING!). I recently put this game on my phone and have only one it once or twice in the last three weeks. I just can't do it.


6) Making rice. I didn't think this was such a difficult task. I'm a decent cook when I want to be -- though I don't do it often, I do think my family's good cooking genes are alive and well in me if I just put them into practice. But cooking rice on a stovetop -- the texture is never quite right.


7) Backing up. I get all discombobulated when I'm backing up in the car. I don't effectively use my side mirrors, I get confused on which way to turn the wheel, and I get completely flustered. And while I'm on the subject...


8) Parallel parking. Can't do it. Scared to death to try. Again with the mirrors and the backing and the flustered-ness. *shudder*


9) Spelling vacuum. I just had to look it up again to make sure it's right. I spell it wrong every time. Perhaps it's a mental block because I actually hate that chore...

I was hoping to come up with ten, but I'm tired and quitting at 9.

So, blog readers (aka Jayme :), what seemingly simple things are you bad at?





No comments: