Saturday, June 21, 2008

My "Seriously?!" Experience of the Week

Yesterday Jen and I went to the mall to return a couple of things I had purchased a couple of days earlier. We went to Dillards, returned the first thing, then headed to JCPenney's. I handed the lady the earrings and she did her little magic to return them. Here's how it went down:

Lady: Did you pay for this with a debit card?
Me: Yes.
(Lady clicks around a minute. While I'm waiting, I find a dime on the floor, pick it up, and place it on the counter.)
Lady: Do you have two pennies?
Me: Um, I'm not sure, let me check.
(Start digging in my purse. Jen does the same.)
Me: I don't think I do. Cleaned out the change earlier today.
(Lady starts counting out the change -- $0.98 -- for my refund.)
Me: Oh yuck! $0.98! So close!
Lady: Well, it's your own fault for not having two pennies.
(seriously?)
Me: (laughs uncomfortably, starts putting change in wallet, then am wrestling with all the cash)
Lady: Don't forget your dime! (Picks it up, throws it in my purse which is sitting on the counter.)
(Seriously?!)
Lady: And here, make sure you get all your receipts (folds them up and then, I kid you not, STUFFS THEM INTO MY OPEN PURSE! She literally had her hand IN my purse, stuffing the receipts into it!)

SERIOUSLY!??!?!?!

2 comments:

Jayme and Los said...

I'm not sure what surprises me most....the lady putting her hand into your purse, or you returning something after you bought it. Hmmmm

Jonathan Goodman said...

So was this cashier someone you had made mad in grade school? Was she a distant face from your past misdeeds? Hmmm....yeah, still too weird. She's on crack...