I have to admit, I was worried that my AIG kids wouldn't be quite as funny as my regular classroom kids. With fewer personalities come fewer funny moments. Or at least that was my fear. However...
I started meeting with kids this week (finally!) and so far so good. We basically just did some get to know you stuff, starting with a true/false quiz about me. I just listed some statements that they had to try to guess if they were true or false. Trying to get them comfortable with the new teacher. Then they had to write some about themselves for me to guess to get to know them better.
Some of my statements were "I don't like salad." (true) "I have three cats." (false) "I grew up on a farm." (true and false... Don't worry Lee, I explained it!) So then they started coming up with their own.
I reminded them to write them as statements, as facts about themselves. Write them as if they are true. I started walking around and looking at their facts and one of my fifth graders has written "Do you think I'm cute?" as one of his statements. Oh my. So I tried not to crack up as I walked over to tell Jayme (we share an office at this school) and then I tred to reiterate the directions -- no questions, write it as a statement, this should tell me something about you. So I see this kid start to erase furiously. Whew. Crisis averted. I didn't want him to share that with the rest of the group! Then I look at his paper a few minutes later and he has written "Ms. M is cool." Well, obviously this is true, but not the point of the assignment. So, again I say something about making sure it tells me something about you. More erasing. Then it comes time to share and I save this kid for last. Finally I get to him and I don't remember any the statements he wrote except for:
I think I'm pretty. True or false.
Wow. Just... wow.
The year of 11
8 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment