Yes, you read correctly. I have a fantasy football team. Is it because I love football? Nope, don't even understand it. Is it because I have a husband or boyfriend (or both...?) who loves football and I want to be more involved in his interests? Nope, though I'd enjoy having that as a reason... Basically the reason I have a fantasy football team -- well the reasons are threefold really: 1) I get to pick out a name for my team (which shall be revealed in good time). 2) I like math, and the scoring is math-ish (though the computer does all the thinking for me). 3) I get to talk smack to my friends Lee and Gwyn who are also in my league and other girls who I know less well and therefore get less smacky-talk.
So, what is my team name you ask? Up until this week I had stuck with the simple "Team McRary" that espn.com chose for me. But once I hit my two game winning streak (yeah!) I decided that a proper name was in order. So while taking a shower this morning, I began contemplating an animal that I had some sort of connection with. This was difficult, because as many of you know, I'm not an animal person. But then it hit me -- LEMURS! In college an extremely misguided young man named Jason decided that it was a compliment to tell me (and my friend Melissa) that we looked like lemurs. Something about the big eyes... he was a strange little man. Anyway -- no NFL team has the distinction of being named after lemurs, and hence my selection was made. Then I needed an alliterative adjective to go along with it. Lucious? Ick. Leggy? Double ick. And then it came to me, inspired by that freckle-faced, red haired orphan we all love: Annie. Which lemurs would we be? The Leapin' Lemurs! And yes, I included the ! which makes for an even more exciting scoreboard: Bailey vs. Lemurs!
[* For you non-Annie fans out there, she often exclaims "Leapin' lizards!"
So, I am now the proud owner (runner? operator? coach? ) of the Leapin' Lemurs! who are ranked number 2 in our league which will probably end soon... OH! And did I mention that in nature, female lemurs are the dominant ones? I thought this was way appropriate for my super-butch fantasy football team! Woo hoo!
Now our league has done an autodraft for the past two years. But there are times where some changes must be made. In keeping with my hardcore knowledge of football in general, I now present Amanda's two rules for trading, dropping, and adding players:

1) Any players whose hair hangs out of their helmet must be dropped.
2) Efforts should be made to attain players who have alliterative names (i.e. Muhsin Muhammad).
Oh yeah. It's gonna be a good season!

3 comments:
I love the team name!! Go leapin lemurs!
I love the fact that female lemurs are dominant.
I miss the bad girls of the Bible teams though.
Good luck in your smack talk!
You crack me up. My favorite thing about your entry was all of the asides. (If I were still a teacher, I'd use your blog as an example of how authors can speak directly to the reader by using parenthesis.)
Post a Comment