Tonight in the shower I was thinking about how so many songs that I hear connect me back to some pop culture reference -- usually a movie or TV show. For example, I was recently talking with Lee about the songs she had chosen for Audrey's 1st birthday party CD and the song "Let My Love Open the Door" came up. When I heard it, I said "Now I'm imagining all these little swimming sperm." She looked at me like I had three heads -- understandably so. She said something to the effect of "or you could picture that scene in "Dan in Real Life". What are you talking about?" And yes, the "Dan in Real Life" scene is there too, but unfortunately, I jumped straight to the sperm. Anyone know what movie I'm referring to, with the sperm? Probably not. It's the end of "Look Who's Talking" when Kirstie Alley and John Travolta finally get together and obviously make a baby -- this is the song that is playing as the spermies make their move.
Then I started thinking of other songs that make me think of movies, but couldn't seem to tear
away from "Look Who's Talking". I immediately jumped to "I Get Around" by the Beach Boys. Why this song? Well, because at the beginning of the movie when Kirstie Alley is still sleeping with her married boss, this is the song his little swimmers boogie down to as they approach her awaiting egg. Then I remembered that scene where she's feeding toddler Mikey his dinner while singing "Town Without Pity". She replaces a line at some point with "Now we'll eat our pudding now". Not poetry, but whatever. Then she does this little pole dance with the refrigerator door as John Travolta looks on from a crack in the apartment door. Then he busts up in the kitchen just in time to sing "How can we keep love alive? How can anything survive, when these little minds tear you in two... what a town without pity can do..." while doing some of his own dirty dancing with her.
away from "Look Who's Talking". I immediately jumped to "I Get Around" by the Beach Boys. Why this song? Well, because at the beginning of the movie when Kirstie Alley is still sleeping with her married boss, this is the song his little swimmers boogie down to as they approach her awaiting egg. Then I remembered that scene where she's feeding toddler Mikey his dinner while singing "Town Without Pity". She replaces a line at some point with "Now we'll eat our pudding now". Not poetry, but whatever. Then she does this little pole dance with the refrigerator door as John Travolta looks on from a crack in the apartment door. Then he busts up in the kitchen just in time to sing "How can we keep love alive? How can anything survive, when these little minds tear you in two... what a town without pity can do..." while doing some of his own dirty dancing with her. Then I realized I watched this movie way too often growing up.


2 comments:
I really want to know what your American Idol try-out song would be. Then I want to make you try-out next year. Also, what would you do if an intruder came through your bathroom door during a shower?
I'm a total slack blogger for so many reasons, not the least of which is not responding to comments...
Right now my AI audition song would be "Somebody to Love" by Queen or "The Grass is Blue" by Dolly Parton (but more the Norah Jones version).
And if an intruder came in during my shower...rip down the curtain rod and try my darndest to impale him. Or her. But probably him.
Post a Comment