Monday, March 23, 2009

My Fifth Grade Flashback

Being an elementary school teacher, I get the chance to revisit my past quite often. The things that these kids do and say can stir up in me the same insecurities, joys, and emotional rollercoasters that I felt when I was their age. I recognize the insecure look of a girl who is trying out a new style or haircut. I see through the fifth grader who mentions a certain boy's name, oh about 50 million (that's for you, Jayme!) times and then insists that he's disgusting. And when I hear any of them talk about whatever star is their current crush, I simply sit back and think...

"He/They can't hold a candle to NKOTB!"

Yeah, I said it. This can't come as a surprise to any of you. You remember my post about my favorite music group of all time. I love them, I really do! I am unconditionally and irrevocably in love with them... oh wait... different unreasonable teen crush...

So, when I got the chance to go see the boys from Boston, I couldn't resist! I knew deep down that it would probably be one of the most enjoyably cheesy nights of my life, but well worth the 86 bucks I would shell out to go ($68 ticket, $12 awesome customized t-shirt, $5 to help Julie with gas, and $1 for my part of the parking). I was totally right. Since I don't do cameras, I am swiping some pics from Kristi's facebook albums to post here.


Brooke and I waiting for everyone to change into their groovy t-shirts, designed by Kristi. I don't love this pic of me, but it's a good shot of our shirts. :)



Brooke and me being "suddenly surprised" with our upgraded seats. We were on the first row after floor seats -- even better than floor seats because 1) we didn't pay floor seat price and 2) I could see over all the floor seat people's heads!

I assume this was taken before since we're seated. Shanna is already getting that mocking look on her face...


Building anticipation as their tiny heads pop up from the stage...


The first ultra cheesy moment for me -- Jordan in the sunglasses. Come on now.




You should know that to me, Joe can do no wrong. I am completely certain that at this moment, he is wishing that he was singing to me instead of this chick.

As close as I get to dancing. Note Shanna, who was I believe in utero the first time she "saw" the boys, is making fun. I will not deny that I joined her at times, much to Brooke's dismay.


My boyfriend, Joey-Joe McIntyre, walking right past us heading to the second stage. Brooke's hand is touching him here, and I touched his hand just seconds later. Yes, I am twelve. Don't care. I touched Jon and Donnie when they came back and Joe again. Again, yes I'm twelve. Still don't care.

A shot of the fellas singing on the second stage, very close.



Kristi, flashing a victorious smile after defeating the drunk girls who elbowed and stepped on her and Julie.


Overall, it was a wonderful time with new friends (the South Newton gals) and old friends (NKOTB, duh.) I definitely enjoyed the old stuff far more than the new (pervy) stuff, but also admit that I have had that "Dirty Dancing" song in my head a lot lately ("Oooh it's so crazy, she's like Baby, I'm like Swayze" --- classy and destined to be classic)

I remember back in the day I would rate the boys in order that I "liked" them. That order would be: 1) Joe 2) Jordan 3) Donnie 4) Jon 5) Danny. Now I would have to rank them on my skank scale: 1) Donnie 2) Jordan (though they are close...) 3) Danny (just because of all the muscle shirts really) 4) Joe 5) Jon. (Even though I don't consider Joe skanky at all, I have to put Jon last -- he's too timid and anxious to be skanky! Besides, they are all willing to sing this trash... they gotta be on the scale somewhere...)

I'm going to end this now because this has turned into one heck of a post. But there is so much more I could discuss -- beer chugging (not us), giant brassieres (again, not us), spastic dancing on top of a piano (wish it was us), Jordan's pale skinny shirtless dancing self... but it's getting late. And maybe those are stories better told in person...

2 comments:

friendbrooke at everyday blessings said...

Oh my friend...this was the most fun ever! Even though you did make fun, I am glad we were able to experience this together! And you know people are so jealous of us!!!

Dr. Alfaro said...

I would agree, some stories are better in person... or through shared experience! I'm so glad you were along for the fun! Now, let's all sing, "Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! (Breathe) Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! (Breathe) Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! The right stuff!" I mean seriously... that will be a prophetic quote some day!