If you've read Lee's blog lately, you know that I have won her (and Cecilia) over to the world of SYTYCD. Now except for those three and a half years I spent twirling around Tammy Lunsford's School of Dance, I really don't know that much about dancing per se. I wouldn't even say that I was a big dancing fan. My mom and aunts dragged me to a Dancing With the Stars tour a couple years ago, which I have to admit, was pretty entertaining, and I always help my dear friend Jen with Dance Team auditions at school. But I've never been into that show and didn't really watch SYTYCD until this year. Because of the magic that is DVR, I started taping during the auditions and fell in love! And now, it's my favorite subject to talk about!
What do I love about this show? (in no particular order)
1) It makes me want to get up and dance. Not that I do. Usually...
2) It introduces me to new music or reintroduces me to old favorites. Fun times.
3) Tabitha and Napoleon -- two choreographers who do NOT look like hip hop dancers, but their routines are AMAZING!
4) Mandy Moore -- another choreographer, not the pop star (but I like that Mandy Moore too...). She does contemporary and jazz and I just think she's had some really amazing routines this season.
5) The ways these people can make their bodies move -- it's insane. And it's not even CGI.
6) Cat Deeley -- the host. She's gorgeous, tall, British -- and I don't even hate her! She genuinely seems to like her job and like interacting with all the dancers. She really seems to care for them and is proud of what they do. My mom and I have a bit of a heterosexual girl crush on her.
7) The Hot Tamale Train. Yes, Mary Murphy needs to turn down the decibels a little bit, but I admit, I'd like to ride the Hot Tamale Train myself.
8) Mia Michaels -- another choreographer. Sometimes I think she tries a little to hard to be quirky, but I can't help it. I love it. Look up the Mia Michaels routines that Chelsea and Mark and Katee and Joshua did on YouTube. If you don't love them, you have no soul. :)
9) So far, America is getting it right. I haven't disagreed on any of the bottom three so far. None of those "shocking upsets" that plague American Idol.
10) All of the dancers seem to be genuinely nice people in the little intros that they do before each dance. And if they aren't, they are also really good actors.
So, that's why I love it -- but who are my fave couples? I thought you'd never ask! These are kind of in order, but I change my mind regularly.
1) Katee and Joshua. She is a contemporary dancer and he's a popper. (check the link) There is no way they should be able to pull off Hip Hop, Broadway, Samba and Swing the way they have. They are so versatile I think they can dance anything. Seriously. And he is so ridiculously precious!
2) Chelsea and Mark. She's a ballroom dancer and he's... I'm not really sure what he is. Very eclectic. He did this crab-like routine in Las Vegas to get into the top 20 that won me over. They also seem to be able to take on anything. And they are both extremely likable.
3) Twitch and Kherington. He was in Hairspray. She smiles all the time. What more do you need?
4) Will and Jessica. Jessica is from Myrtle Beach. No one is from Myrtle Beach. And Will trained with Debbie Allen. Their "shirt" routine (courtesy of Mandy Moore) this week was crazy awesome hot.
5) Courtney G. and Gev. He's a break dancer and is in love with his partner. It's adorable. And I think their Rhumba was hot. They are my underdogs.
Hmmm... wait a minute. That only leaves one couple. I guess I know who I want to see go this week. And after that -- I'm torn!
Do yourself a favor -- check some of these out on YouTube. Seriously. I'll put a couple links here to whet your appetite. (I'm not smart enough to figure out how to put them in like Lee did...)
6) Cat Deeley -- the host. She's gorgeous, tall, British -- and I don't even hate her! She genuinely seems to like her job and like interacting with all the dancers. She really seems to care for them and is proud of what they do. My mom and I have a bit of a heterosexual girl crush on her.
7) The Hot Tamale Train. Yes, Mary Murphy needs to turn down the decibels a little bit, but I admit, I'd like to ride the Hot Tamale Train myself.
8) Mia Michaels -- another choreographer. Sometimes I think she tries a little to hard to be quirky, but I can't help it. I love it. Look up the Mia Michaels routines that Chelsea and Mark and Katee and Joshua did on YouTube. If you don't love them, you have no soul. :)
9) So far, America is getting it right. I haven't disagreed on any of the bottom three so far. None of those "shocking upsets" that plague American Idol.
10) All of the dancers seem to be genuinely nice people in the little intros that they do before each dance. And if they aren't, they are also really good actors.
So, that's why I love it -- but who are my fave couples? I thought you'd never ask! These are kind of in order, but I change my mind regularly.
1) Katee and Joshua. She is a contemporary dancer and he's a popper. (check the link) There is no way they should be able to pull off Hip Hop, Broadway, Samba and Swing the way they have. They are so versatile I think they can dance anything. Seriously. And he is so ridiculously precious!
2) Chelsea and Mark. She's a ballroom dancer and he's... I'm not really sure what he is. Very eclectic. He did this crab-like routine in Las Vegas to get into the top 20 that won me over. They also seem to be able to take on anything. And they are both extremely likable.
3) Twitch and Kherington. He was in Hairspray. She smiles all the time. What more do you need?
4) Will and Jessica. Jessica is from Myrtle Beach. No one is from Myrtle Beach. And Will trained with Debbie Allen. Their "shirt" routine (courtesy of Mandy Moore) this week was crazy awesome hot.
5) Courtney G. and Gev. He's a break dancer and is in love with his partner. It's adorable. And I think their Rhumba was hot. They are my underdogs.
Hmmm... wait a minute. That only leaves one couple. I guess I know who I want to see go this week. And after that -- I'm torn!
Do yourself a favor -- check some of these out on YouTube. Seriously. I'll put a couple links here to whet your appetite. (I'm not smart enough to figure out how to put them in like Lee did...)
(try to ignore the disturbing news blurbs across the bottom after the dance...)
(and they are dancing to Heart! bonus points!)

No comments:
Post a Comment