Saturday, July 12, 2008

My Fungus Loves Me

Oh you only thought we were finished with fungus posts!

The whole fungus drama (see previous post) began right around my birthday (end of March). My regular doctor said it was a fungus, gave me a cream and sent me on my way. Well, the cream did seem to work -- kept the evil fungus at bay. But just when I thought it was safe to stop applying the cream, it would come back, little by little. I thought maybe I should just use it a little longer. Then I'd stop and it'd creep back in. Never big, but annoying.

So, I called the doctor and asked for a referral to a dermatologist. I got an appointment and she didn't think it looked like a fungus after all and maybe it was just a reaction to the cream I had been using. I was told to stop using that cream and use another one. Big mistake. The next thing I know I have a disgusting two inch EXTREMELY ITCHY place back on my face, WAY bigger than that original fungus patch ever thought of being! So, I called the dermatologist back and told them that it was getting bigger.

PA that I saw is out of town, she'll see me in a week and a half. So, this thing has grown two inches in a week and you are telling me to wait another week? I call back again -- please help me, this is really getting out of control. Come pick up another cream. So I pick up another cream. This cream angers the itchy red patch (which has now grown a small, equally itchy friend.) I am so overwhelmed at my elephantman face that I don't know what to do.

(Jayme, I know you will be shocked that I am posting TWO pictures of my fungus, but what good is a fungus if you don't share? :)

Here is what it looked like back in April. A cute little unassuming fungus.



And here is what it looks like at this point in the story. The reflection off the shiny fungus kinda doesn't show it's true red beauty. And it actually got even a little worse. This was taken a day or two before I finally got some real help for it. Keep reading...


So, Lee offers to call Mary D. in Asheville to see if Duncan would mind seeing me. Duncan swoops in and saves the day! I cried when she told me he would see me that very day. I went up Thursday, cried when told nurse about the whole ordeal. So emotional about hideous face. He scraped my face and said it was indeed STILL a fungus (the first cream wasn't strong enough to kill it for good) and gave me mega medicine to wipe it out from the inside out and from the inside in. This is the second time Duncan has saved my skin's behind. (um... yeah...) He also treated a strange rash back when I lived next to them in the pink house. Had his nurse give me a shot in the biscuit. You can't give your babysitter/neighbor a shot in the biscuit. Too, too weird.

I love that family, whether they save me from my fungus or not. But especially for saving me from the fungus. I think it's working and I hope to be fungus free in a week or two.

And obviously that fungus REALLY loves me far too much to say goodbye.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG!! you so forgot to tell me about that on saturday during our lovely chat...WOW...i must say...i lauged sooooooooo freakin' hard...hope you're getting better, though. PTL for duncan! love you!
/jo

Heather said...

I'm glad that your fungus is leaving...that's horrible. But thanks for sharing the pictures:).