Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My Addendum (for the Smug Marrieds Rant)

So I reread the Smug Married Rant post and feel really good about the frustration I expressed and how I expressed it, but then got sad and frustrated all over again...

Yeah, I'm frustrated about that particular situation that inspired that post and I feel sad that God has chosen something else for me right now and yada yada yada. But I think the thing that saddens me most is that none of my MANY married friends have commented on that post at all. I think I only have two singleton friends reading this blog and they were the ones who commented.

So, then I started wondering...

* Are the marrieds not commenting because they think I'm calling them smug? (I don't know of any smug marrieds who are reading this blog... You can be a married without being a smug married. But if you thought I was talking to you, maybe you should do a smug check to be on the safe side...)
* Are they not commenting because they are afraid they'll anger the singleton beast inside me? (I don't think any of you would say anything stupid... and unless you are stupid I will not lash out at you.)
* Why do I want them to comment? (I guess some validation from someone besides the other singletons that I'm dealing with some really clueless married people would be nice.)
* What do I want them to say? (Maybe some words of encouragement? Maybe something to represent the non-smug portion of your population? Maybe to tell me about your single God-lovin' cousin who wants to meet a good girl and settle down? Hee hee!)
* Do I want them to all comment on this post now? (Well, only if they want to. I'm just sharing and spreading awareness. :)

5 comments:

themainstick said...

oh I love you! I am not commenting...but loving to read your posts...perhaps you should start a series of posts on smug marrieds.

Adam did say that he works with many single men...manly men...construction men.

Melissa said...

Not sure if I'm smug or not, but reading your post made me introspect myself and wonder how I come across to my beautiful single friends. My new goal as inspired by Amanda: not to make negative comments about marriage to single friends! You're an inspiration :)

I'll let you know if I come up with any single cousins... none as of yet though. Sorry!

The Moores said...

Amanda, I wanted to comment, but you have no idea how busy it is with a wife and two year old! It is just so crazy. HA HA! Great to see you this week in the food puke court. - ANTHONY

Scott, Bri, Elijah, Abigail said...

Oh how I wish I had commented last night. I JUST found your blog yesterday. For whatever reason, the ONLY entry I read was the one about smug marrieds. I decided that to catch up, I needed to rewind and read from the beginning and I just didnt have time last night. SO if I HAD written last night before your new post...you'd have had a post from a married. Sorry.

Anyway - in response.... I think you're entitled to feel that way. I sat back and thought...hmm... have I ever done that to someone? How insensitive. I sincerely hope NOT, but if I have, I'll be thinking twice next time & I'm sorry.

BOLD, yes. WRONG, No. You are right to bring this up. Having children or a family does not buy you bragging rights, more importance, or superiority in any way. Busy doesn't start when you have a family. Busy starts when your'e not lazy. Sure.. I'm busy... but not the ONLY kind of busy.. just a DIFFERENT kind of busy. Maybe call it a 'self involved' busy. I feel like I never have time for things that involve people or things outside of the walls of my home. If you really think for a minute on that one...that's not good at all. Outside of my home are a lot of things... church.. relationships.. grass.. clean air....

So.. maybe YOUR kind of busy is, in fact, the BETTER kind. Maybe it is a more GODLY kind. Maybe the 'smug' ones need to step back and see YOUR life and YOUR busyness as something of SUPERIOR imoportance...because you are out there giving of your time to OTHER people... not just people whom you directly benefit from. Eh?

OH - and as an afterthought (well, it is not actually an afterthought, but I wanted to put this at the END, so we'd end on a good note if I've said something smug without noticing it) Your blog picture is SO pretty! You have always had the nicest - 'come talk to me, Im nice' smile!!

Jayme and Los said...

I'm pretty sure I've told you this before....you need to be a WRITER! You are extremely clever, and you express yourself really well through writing. I have LOVED reading your blog tonight! I've now read all of your posts. I had a wonderful, relaxing day! Thanks for breakfast and for sharing your celebration day with me, Los, & Annie! Happy 21st!