Yes, I blatantly borrowed the phrase from Bridget Jones, and although she is a fictional character, I know she would be thrilled, honored even, that I borrowed that phrase from her because I know she would definitely understand where I'm coming from.Note to all Smug Marrieds out there (you know who you are): Could you please do all us singletons a favor and THINK before you speak? When the pretty single lady who already feels like an outsider in your little group talks about how busy she is lately because she works like 60 hours a week and goes to grad school, don't say "I don't want to hear it. You don't have two kids and that (points to husband) to deal with!"
I don't have kids? Really? And no husband? Why, I hadn't even noticed that I was the only single person in the room above the age of 20! And I didn't realize that I'm eight years older than the newlyweds who just walked in (oh, and surprise! They are pregnant!) And I certainly didn't know that you aren't allowed to be busy until you have a husband and kids.And while we're at it, could all you smug married ladies PLEASE stop with the bitching and moaning your husbands? First of all, you have no idea how it ticks the singletons off. Oh how we would love to have a husband to argue with, snuggle with, raise children with, serve with, and just live life with!
And secondly, I have a pretty good feeling that your belittling doesn't fulfill that whole biblical picture of what marriage is supposed to be: "Wives, submit to your husbands, but only if they never make mistakes. When they do screw up, please berate them in public and constantly make them feel like ignorant simpletons. For I am the Lord your God."
Nuh uh. Pretty sure that's NOT what it says.
But what do I know? I'm single.

3 comments:
Hurrah!!! That was fantastic and very well put. I'm only half-way through your blog and I'm loving it. Snaps to you!
LOVE, love, LOVE it! jag älskar din blogg, lu!! (thought you needed a swedish comment in here)...seriously, i was soooo with you on this one...and i can hear you saying every word you write. love that, too! from one singleton to anonther, amen, sister, amen!! one complaint, however: why is MY blog not listed among those that might be better than yours???? hmm...wait, maybe i don't want an answer to that question... :o) love you! (should we count how many times i've used the word love in this email...and, yes, älskar counts...it's the same)
//jo
Jordana -- I don't think I have your blog! Send me the link!
Thanks for the love! Love to you as well!!!
Post a Comment